Hi - it's April. I keep fogetting to email this to Stacey so I have put down Harry Potter to post what has worked for me so far. I'll give you a sample days menu - but really, eating healthy isn't rocket science (I hate that phrase), it's just not as fun or as convenient, which is the problem. Lean Cuisine and Kashi both have frozen dinners that fit in really well that are nice to have for a quick fix or to take to work.
I eat every 2-3 hours, starting when I wake up and until I go to bed. The last meal of the day needs to be mostly protein.
7:00 plain oatmeal (or 2 eggo nutrigrain waffles) with 5 cut up strawberries. 3 egg whites ( I microwave them).
9:00 1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese, 1/2 cup pineapple chunks, 10 Quakes rice cakes (or 1 regular sized)
12:00 turkey on wheat tortilla with lettuce and tomato, fat free shredded mozzarella cheese, fat free mayo (it's not bad!)
2:30 2 lowest fat string cheese, bunch of grapes, 14 reduced fat wheat thins
5:00 grilled chicken (size of deck of cards), broccoli, brown rice
8:00 yogurt (dannon lite and fit carb and sugar control, this one is mostly protein) with 1/4 cup kashi go lean crunch cereal
*also, cut out all sugar, salt, soda and butter (try "I can't believe it's not butter", it's not too bad and is a free food - so are pickles and salsa). I still drink dt coke like crazy though - I need some kind of vice. Need to drink at least 64 ounces of water a day. I just have a big mug that I always fill, crystal light is ok to add. If you want to cheat or substitute anything, just make sure your meal is 300 calories or less (one mcdonalds regular hamburger is 280 cal so sometimes I do that for a snack if I need something different)
This ends up being about 1600 calories a day which is good for someone my size - if you are a boy or are someone trying to put on a ton of muscle then you probably need more calories I'm guessing.
I work out at the gym 3 times a week for an hour (30 min weights first and then 30 min cardio). I also go on a long walk once or twice a week with a friend. We pick somewhere 3-4 miles away that we can eat breakfast at (most places will make an egg-white omelet) and then walk there and back. Noah and I have also done it in the evening to walk to our favorite Gelato place.
Anyway - let me know if anyone has any questions, I'm definitely not an expert but don't mind sharing things that have and haven't worked for me!
April
1 comment:
Thanks so very much for posting that April. I am happy to get it and to try to get my act together. It is just hard having to pay attention to food all the time. But we should - it's what we have to have every day, so we may as well do it right! Good job for doing it right!
LynnEl
Post a Comment