Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Jewels in the Sand is featured on AQS - MY QUILT PLACE!

Jewels in the Sand was featured on AQS - My Quilt Place website yesterday!   I have worked on this quilt for many years, off and on.  I bought the kit "Country Magic" from Starr Designs in 2008 at the International Quilt Festival in Rosemont, Illinois for $300 which included all the patterns for each paper pieced block and also all the fabrics.  I purchased more fabric from Starr Designs for the backing fabric.  I layered it with two battings - one black Hobbs 80/20 and one wool bat on top to make the quilting stand out.  

I used 30 wt. thread on top and Glide prewound Magna-Glide Delights in the bobbin.  I wanted to really make this quilt be show quality.  But because it is so big, and my quilting machine poles are just 10', it seems that I had a bit of trouble keeping it all straight and stiff on the quilting frame.  Consequently, I found a few folds in the backing fabric, which was sad.  I tried hard to make this the best quilting I've ever done.  Now that it's off the frame, I want to add a bit to it - and fix a few areas.  Is that a normal quilter desire?  Also, I am not happy with the binding application either, but it's done!

I have to add a sleeve to the back and the label, but I LOVE the name for this quilt!  Jewels in the Sand is what it looks like to me - and applies so well, since Andrew and I love going to the Caribbean Waters and laying in the sand, snorkeling, etc.  But we also have purchased some beautiful jewels while we've traveled there and so this is close to my heart! 

This quilt is now entered into the quilt show at HMQS (Home Machine Quilt Show) in Salt Lake City for May, 2016.  I do not expect anything except some good criticism!  I hope to enter it into our County and State Fairs here in Illinois, as well as a few other local quilt shows possibly.  Jewels in the Sand is 110" x 110".  Someday I hope to hang it on a large wall in my home! 

Here is a link if you want to see it on My Quilt Place!   My Quilt Place 


No comments: