Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Wyoming Desert Rose Quilt

My quilt guild, Illini Country Stitchers, had their bi-annual quilt show last weekend, Oct. 8-9, 2011. I made the quilt top to Wyoming Desert Rose many years ago, probably 3 years ago, and never did get around to getting it on the frame and quilting it. I decided that I could do that and get it done in time for the quilt show, if I hurried.

I belong to an online site called MQResource.com and it is such a big help. My quilting friend and now a good friend, Joy, helped convince me to send in pictures of my quilt tops to get ideas from other quilters on how to quilt my tops. So I sent in a picture of Wyoming Desert Rose and they gave me some good advice!

I then got to quilting it - and about 20 hours later (a few hours a day after work) I had it finished. I handstitched the binding down the night before the quilt show. But it was done and I was so happy with it. It is 100% cotton flannel. I can't remember the name of the pattern I used. (I need to find it in my things so I can give credit to the pattern person.) I used Signature thread and Fil-Tec Perma Core for the top and I used Fil-Tec Magna-Glide Delites for the bobbin thread. Also, I won 2nd place at the Quilt Show! Viewer's Choice - not judged. Thanks to everyone who went to the show who were my friends for voting for my quilt. Also thanks to those I don't know who also loved it and voted for me! It was a great show! And I am honored to receive a second place ribbon for the large wall hanging category!

Oh, AND this quilt is going to be the featured quilt of the week on http://MQResource.com beginning tomorrow!! I'm so excited about that!!! Almost more excited than winning the ribbon!

I haven't taken any pictures of the back of the quilt yet. But here are a few of the front:





5 comments:

Stacey said...

Seriously amazing! I'm so excited you got 2nd place and now you're going to be featured on a big ol' site!!! That's so exciting! Congratulations! Sometimes when I feel like I'll never get to be good at something I just think of you and your quilting! You totally taught yourself how to do it and you're AMAZING!

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful and I'm so glad I got to view it right there at the show! Congrats on the ribbon!

Patti said...

You just get better and better all the time :)

Amy said...

Mom - that is soooooooooooooo gorgeous. Honestly - you are seriously amazing. I love that one so so so so so sooooo much. Congratulations!!! You're always winning cuz you're so awesome!!! Love you!!

beaquilter said...

Hey, I googled your name and saw your blog, recognized the quilt!! follow mine too!?
I'm following yours :-)